Professor Eyesan is a consultant orthopaedic surgeon and Chief Medical Director of Bowen University Teaching Hospital. He specialises in Orthopaedic oncology and has been involved in the teaching of the orthopaedic residents for over 20 years.
He graduated from the College of Medicine, University of Benin, Edo state, Nigeria in 1982 then went to the National Postgraduate College of Surgeons, Nigeria in 1993. He later proceeded to the International Cancer Technology Transfer Fellowship (INCRET) in 1999 and gained more training at UICC at the Karolinska Hospital in Stockholm, Sweden in 2000.
Professor Eyesan is a fellow of the Medical College of Surgeons of Nigeria (FMCS ORTHO) and a member of the International Society of Orthopaedic Surgeons (SICOT). He is also a life member of the Association of UICC Fellow (AUF).
Prof. Eyesan’s Profile
Professor Eyesan is currently based at the Bowen University Teaching Hospital as the Chief Medical Director. He sees new patients referred from general practice, review patients
who have ongoing cases and those who are being followed up after prior surgery. He also sees patients referred from other Consultants and other hospitals.
Professor Eyesan also sees private new patient referred from other Consultants and other
Hospital and can be arranged directly by booking an appointment or via 08023027517
- National Orthopaedic Hospital Igbobi Lagos, Nigeria – March 2008 to December 2010
- Chief Medical Director, Bowen University Teaching Hospital Feb. 2014 – Jun. 2018.
- Examiner of the part I Fellowship in the Faculty of Surgery of the NPGMC – November 2012 to date.
- Member of the Faculty board of the Orthopaedic Surgery of the NPGMC – November 2012 to date.
- Examiner of part II Fellowship in the Faculty of Orthopaedic Surgery of the NPGMC – November 2012 to date.
- Abdulkareem, F.B. Eyesan, S. U., Akinde O. R., Ezembakwe M. E,Nnodu O. E; Clinic Pathological Study of Bone Tumours at the National Orthopaedic Hospital Igbobi, Lagos Nigeria. West African Journal of Medicine 2007; 26:4.366 –311.
- Eyesan S. U., Obalum D. C., Nnodu O. E., Abdulkareem F. B., Ladejobi O. A., Challenges in the Diagnosis and Management of Musculo-skeletal Tumours in Nigeria – International Orthopaedics 2009;33:211 – 3.
- Obalum D.C., Eyesan S.U., Abdulkareem F.B., Pattern of Osteochondroma in Lagos. Nigerian Quarterly Journal of Hospital Medicine 2008; 18:2. 2:69-71.
- Falope I. Adedeji, Eyesan, S.U., “Incidence of HIV Positivity in Trauma Victims over the Age of 20 Years. National Postgraduate Medical Journal 1998;15:3.115-127.
- Eyesan S. U, Falope A. I. Cautionary Case of Compartment Syndrome Nig.Nigerian Journal of Surgical Science 1994; 4: 74-75.
- Nwadiaro C H, Eyesan S.U, Quadriceps Mechanism Rupture. Nigerian Journal of Surgical Science 1999; 9: 14 – 17.
- Eyesan S. U., Obalum D. C., Nnodu O. E., Abdulkareem F. B., Ladejobi O. A., Management of Giant cell tumour – A Nigerian Experience. Nigerian Journal of Surgical Science. 2007: 17: 91 – 95.
- Nnodu O. E, Giwa S. O, Eyesan S. U., Abdulkareem F. B, Odunukwe N. N, Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology of Bone Tumours – National Orthopaedic Hospital, Igbobi and Lagos University Teaching Hospital experience. Cytojour.4: 2007.
- Adegbite, O. M., Eyesan S. U., Chira M., Ugwoegbulem O. A. Acute Compartment Syndrome Following Corrective Osteotomy – A Case Report, Nigerian Journal Surgical Science. 2007; 17: 66 – 69.
- Eyesan S. U., Idowu O. K., Nnodu O. E., Ketiku K. K., Abdulkareem F. B. Extremity Soft Tissue Sarcoma – A Review of 19 Cases. Nigerian Journal Orthopaedic & Trauma 2007; 6: 77 – 79.
- Obalum D. C, Eyesan S. U., Atoyebi, Ogo C. N, Day Case Surgery for Hernia in a Multispecialist Private Hospital in Nigeria –in the Nigeria Quarterly Journal of Hospital Medicine. 18, 2008; 42-44.
- Ugwoegbulem O. A, Eyesan S. U., Abdulkareem F. B., Fibula Head Tumours – A 5-year Prospective Study. Nigerian Journal Surgical Sciences 2008; 18:1, 68-71.
- Obalum D.C., Eyesan S.U., Ogo C.N., Enweani U.N., Ajoku J.O. – Concerns, attitudes, and practices of orthopaedic surgeons towards management of patients with HIV/AID in Nigerian International Orthopaedics. 2008 ISSN 0341– 2695 (online).
- Fadero P.E., Alabi S., Adebule G.T., Odunubi O.O, Yinusa W., Eyesan S.U. Obianyor O.D., Locked Intra-medullary Nailing for the Treatment of Femoral Shaft Fractures: Experience and Results in 19 Cases: Nigerian Journal of Medicine 2008; 17:2; 170 – 174.
- Eyesan S. U., Idowu O. K., Nnodu O. E., Abdulkareem F. B., Peri-operative and transfusion considerations in muskuloskeletal tumour surgery. Nigerian Journal of Trauma, 2008; 7:2; 63-65.
- Eyesan S. U, Ugwoegbulem O. A., Bone Cement in the Management of Cytic bone tumour Defects at the National Orthopaedic Hospital Igbobi. Nigerian Journal of Clinical Practice; 2009; 12:4, 367-370.
- Eyesan S. U., Ugwoegbulem O. A. Alabi E. A., Nnodu O. E., Abudlkareem F. B., Limb preservation in GCT at the National Orthopaedic Hospital Igbobi, Lagos Nigeria. Nigerian Journal of Surgical Sciences 2009;19:1, 23-26.
- Eyesan S. U., Idowu O. K., Obalum D.C, Nnodu O. E., Abdulkareem F. B.,Surgical Consideration in Benign Bone Tumours – Nig. J clin Pract. 2011;14:146-50
- Eyesan S.U; Obalum D.C; Onovo D.; Eyo M.U; Abdulkareem F.B; Nnodu O.E; Indications for ablative surgery in extremity musculoskeletal tumours- Nigerian Quarterly Journal Hospital Medicine 19:4 2009;206-209
- Eyesan S.U; Obalum D.C; Onovo D;Eyo M.U; Abdulkareem F.B; Nnodu O.E; Ketiku; Clinicopathological pattern of extremity Liposarcoma. The Nigerian Postgraduate Medical Journal 2010;17:27-29.
- Obalum D.C; Eyesan S.U; Ogo C.N; Enweluzo G.O; Multicentre Study of Bone Tumours. The Nigerian Postgraduate Med. Journal 17:1, 2010; 23-25.
- Adetan O; Nnodu O.E; Eyesan S.U; Olasinde A.A; Faduyile F.A. Bone tumour diagnosis in resource poor setting – The Role of fine needle aspiration cytology – Nigeria Journal of Trauma (NJOT), 2010; 9:1,14-16.
PUBLICATIONS AFTER LAST REVIEW/AFTER LAST APPOINTMENT
- Eyesan S.U; James J.A, Salami O. O, Removal of bent K-nail – from the Femur by the use of a metal cutting saw- A Case Report. Nigerian Journal of Trauma, 2010; 9:2:76-77.
- Giant cell tumour. A case report from N.O.H. Lagos. Adegbite O.M; Eyesan S.U; Obalum D.C; Nnodu O.E; Adbulkareem F.B; Nigerian Journal of Trauma; 2010;9:2:63-64.
- Onovo D.O; Eyesan S.U; Abdulkareem F.B; Benign fibrous histiocytoma of the metarcarpal bone – British Medical Journal. A Case Report 2011.90113.1136/bcr.06. 2010:3122.
- Eyesan S.U; James. J. Adeniran; Salami.O.Olayinka; Obalum D.C; Onovo D; Cliniopathological presentation of Extremity Rhabdomyosarcoma.-A Review of
5 Cases. Nigerian Journal of Trauma; 2010; 9:2:61-62.
- A Review of Obesity and Orthopaedic Surgery: Critical Issues. Obalum D.C., Eyesan S. U., Febrisema F., Nzewie C, Ogo C.N., Mijinwawum M. Nigerian Postgraduate Medical Journal .19:3; 2012; 175 – 180.
- Olawepo A, Eyesan S. U., Oyenusi A. S. Igbinoba B.A. James T. A, Abdulkareem F.B Deep cal hemangioma in a 10yrs old girl. Nigerian Postgraduate Medical Journal .20:2; 2013; 162-164.
- Desmoplastic Fibroma of the Ulnar – Eyesan S.U., Kehinde G.T., Adesina, Ayeni S.C. Abdulakreem F. B. Nigerian Medical Journal. 54:4; 2013; 281-283.
- Angio Fibrolipoma of the calf. Eyesan S. U., Ayeni S.C. Olawepo A., Adesina, kehinde G.T. Journal of Rare Tumours. 2013; 5:e 48
- Obalum D.C., Eyesan S. U., Febrisema F., Nzewie C, Ugo C.N., Mijinyawa M. Pre-operative consideration in Orthopaedic Patients with diabetes mellitus Nigerian Postgraduate Medical Journal 20:3;2013; 223-227.
- Obalum D.C., Eyesan S. U., Kolawole H. F., Challenges in trauma management in a developing economy OA Orthopaedics 2013, 25;1(3):2
- James J. A., Eyesan S.U., Obalum D.C., Salami O.O., Olawepo A., Nnodu O.E., Abdulkareem E.B.- Bone Malignancies in NOHLagos; Nigerian Postgraduate Medical Journal.21:1;2014
- Bilateral Femoral Osteomyelitis following veinous cut down. Eyesan S.U,Akinsorotan G.M., Obalum D.C., Itie JC, Aroh C.B. Open Journal of Orthopedics 2013, 3.
- Organization and Management of a Modern Accident and Emergency Unit in Nigeria – Dr. S. U. EYESAN Practicing Doctor .8. 2011; 1.
- Designing a Tertiary Hospital Emergency Management Plan (EMP) for mass casualty incidents (MCI) – Dr S.U. EYESAN- Practicing Doctor .7 2012:3
- T.G. Kehinde, S.U Eyesan, K.O Idowu, D.C. Obalum, S.A. Adesina, B.F. Abudulkareem, Gluteal Fibroma. NJOT Vol. 13(2) 80-83. December 2014.
- Eyesan S.U, Ayeni, S.C, Adesina S.A, Kehinde T.G. Olawepo A, Ibrahim K.T, Angio
fibrolipomo of the calf: Rare tumours 5(3).e 48 Dol :10.4081/rt2013.e 48
- Eyesan S.U. Kehinde T.G, Adesina S.A, Ayeni, S.C,Abdulkarem B. Desmoplastic
fibromio of the ulnar bone NM J. 2015 Mar-Aprl 56(2) 153-155
- Akinsorotan G.M, Eyesan S.U, Obalum D.C. Itie J.C, Aroh B.C Abiodun AB,Bilateral femoral osteomyelitis following venous cut down .OJO 3(07), 306,2013.
- Eyesan S.U, Itie J.C, Adesina S.A, Kehinde T.G, Olasode B.J, carrenous hemanagioma of the Lt. forearn; Rare Tumours 2015 sept.7,7(3):5895
- Awotunde T.O, Eyesan S.U, Adesina, Ayandele B.O, Ano-Edward, G.H, Fibrosic of
the quadricepts muscles secondary to sickle cell disease: OJO 06(10):326-329, 2016
- Idowu O.K, Akinola A, Eyesan S.U, Giwa S.O; Out of pocket payment for Endoprosthesis: challenges and outcome DVI:1013140/RG 2.2. 29962,57286,
- Idowu O.K, Eyesan S.U, Badmus H, Giwa S.O. Abidulkareem F.B, Endo
prosthetic: replacement for distal femoral tumour. NJCP 19(4):Pg 567-572, 2016
- Amole I.O, Adesina S.A. Durodola A, Eyesan S.U, Reconstructive surgical
correction of ulnar nerve paralytic claw fingers in Hansen’s disease. patients by lasso procedure JCRIM 2, 31-35, 2016.
- Adesina S.A. Amole I.O, Awotunde O.T, Eyesan S.U,Oloolrun D.A, family structure and Bone setters gangrene in children: A case series. DOI:10.9734/IJTDH 2016/24242.2016
- Awotunde O.T, Adesina S.A. Ojedoja T.A Eyesan S.U, penetrating injury caused
by the gear pedal of a motor cycle RJHS Vol.4 (1) Jan/March 2016.
- Amechi Katehy Samuel U. Eyesan, Olukayode Oluseyi, Stephen Adesope Adesina, Babajide O. Ayandele, Ano-Edward, G.H, Non ossifying fibroma of the Rt.
Clavicle. NPGMJ: 25(2):126-129(DVi.218)
Workshop and conference attended
LOCAL CONFERENCES ATTENDED
● Attended the 6th Biennial Delegate meeting and Scientific conference of Medical and Dental Consultants Calabar Nov 2009
● Surgical Emergencies in Family Practice LAUTECH, Ogbomoso April 2014
● Diagnostic Molecular Pathology April 2014
● TRAIN-THE-TRAINERS WORKSHOP Enugu June 2014
● Annual Scientific and All Fellows Congress of the National Postgraduate Medical College in Uyo, Akwa Ibom Staten Aug. 2014
● All Fellows Meeting /AGM National Postgraduate Medical College, Ibadan Aug. 2016
● Nigeria Cancer Society 42nd AGM, Abuja Aug. 2016
● All Fellows Meeting /AGM National Postgraduate Medical College, Owerri Aug. 2018 Regional
● Extremity Soft Tissue Sarcoma – A Review of 19 cases
● Limb Preservation in GCT in Nigeria
● Management of GCT in Nigeria -All 3 papers were presented at the AORTIC Conference in Dakar, Senegal – 2005
● Surgical Considerations in the Management of Benign Bone Tumors – All 4 papers
● were presented at the West African College of Surgeons Conference in Accra, Ghana 2006
● Challenges in the Diagnosis and Management of Musculoskeletal Tumours in Nigeria.
● Haemorrhage and transfusion considerations in Surgery for Musculoskeletal Tumor.
● Clinicopathological study of Bone Tumors at the National Orthopaedic Hospital Igbobi –Lagos, Nigeria.
● Surgical Considerations in the Management of Benign Bone Tumours
● Bone cement in the management of cystic bony tumour defect at the N.O.H. Lagos.
● Clinicopathological presentation of Liposarcoma at N.O.H.L
● Prognostic significance of plasma fibrinogen & D-Diner in African Patients with
● Prognostic Significance of plasma fibrinogen and D-Diner in African Patients with
● The pattern of primary malignant bone tumours in Nigeria — AORTIC Conference Cairo –Nov. 2011
INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCES ATTENDED
● Concomitant subtalar dislocation with Contra lateral Achilles tendon rupture in an athlete -Presentation at the SICOT World Congress in Sydney Australia 1999
● Challenges in the Diagnosis and Management of Musculoskeletal Tumours in an African Country.
● Limb Preservation in GCT in an African Country
● Management of GCT in Nigeria
● Challenges in the diagnosis and management of MST in a developing country
● Surgical consideration in the management of benign bone Tumors – both were orally presented in SICOT Congress in Hong Kong 2008.
REGIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCES ATTENDED
● 21st World Congress of SICOT (International Society of Orthopaedic Surgeons and traumatologist held in Sydney Australia – 1999
● 22nd World Congress of SICOT held in San Diego, California, USA 2002
● 23rd World Congress of SICOT held at Istanbul, Turkey – 2005
● 2nd Congress of African Organization for Research and Training in Cancer held in
● Dakar Senegal -I had 4 oral presentations.2005
● West African College of Surgeons Conference held in Accra, Ghana – 2006
● UICC World Cancer Congress – Held in Washington DC, U.S.A. – 2006
● Aortic biennial Congress – held in Cape Town South Africa – 2007
● SICOT World Congress – Hong Kong – 24th – 28th August 2008
● UICC World Cancer Congress – Geneva, Switzerland. – 27th – 31st August 2008
● British sarcoma group conference (BSG)-Glasgow U.K 19th & 20th March 2009.
● Aortic biennial congress (AORTIC) – held in Dares Salam Tanzania Nov 11th – 14th 2009.
● EMSOS (European Musculoskeletal oncology society meeting 6-7th May 2010-
Birmingham U.K Presented 2 poster presentations.
● UICC World cancer congress –Shenzhen China August 18-21st 2010.
● Evidence-based clinical meeting on bone and soft tissue tumours at the TATA
● Memorial Hospital Mumbai (Bombay) from 23rd – 28th February 2011.
● AORTIC biennial Congress – Cairo, Egypt – Nov. 2011.
● AORTIC biennial Congress – Durban, South Africa. – Nov 2013.
● American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) Chicago, Illinois May 30 – June 3, 2014
● African Organization for Research and Training in Cancer (AORTIC) Morocco, Nov.19 – Nov. 21, 2015.
● (AORTIC) Education & Training Workshop on Cancer Control Abuja, Oct. 19 – Oct.21, 2016.
● Evaluation of Isotonic Saline and Boiled Water in Irrigation of open injuries of the Dorsum of the Foot – Annual Scientific Conference of the Association of Resident Doctors of Nigeria 1994
● The incidence of HIV positivity in Trauma Patients over the age of 20 years – at a Workshop on AIDS by the National Orthopaedic Hospital Igbobi – Lagos 1996
● The Impact of the Economy on Emergency Medical Services and Training at the National Orthopaedic Hospital Igbobi – Lagos Presented at the General Management course in Topo – Badagry 1996.
● Early Results of Resection/Reconstruction in Giant Cell Tumour (GCT) of the Distal Radius with Free Fibula Grafts – Presented at the Annual Scientific Conference of the Nigerian Orthopaedic Association in Calabar 2001
● Challenges in the Diagnosis and Management of Musculoskeletal Tumours in Nigeria.
● Limb Preservation in GCT in Nigeria
● Management of GCT in Nigeria
● All 3 papers were presented at the Annual Scientific Conference of the Nigerian Orthopaedic Association in Port Harcourt – 2005
● Surgical Considerations in Benign Bone Tumors.
● Challenges in the Diagnosis and Management of Musculoskeletal tumours in Nigeria.
● The 2 papers were presented at the 3rd annual scientific conference of the National Postgraduate Medical College of Nigeria in August 2007
● Transfusion Considerations in Musculoskeletal Tumor Surgery – Presented at the Annual
Scientific Conference of the Nigerian Orthopaedic Association in Ilorin –Kwara State -2006.
● Pan African Conference on Telemedicine and e-Health Abuja 2006
● Limb Preservation in GCT at National Orthopaedic Hospital, Igbobi – Lagos
● Bone Cement in the Management of Tumor Defects at the National Orthopaedic Hospital,Igbobi
● Fibula Head Tumors
● The 3 papers were presented at the Nigerian Orthopaedic Association Conference in Maiduguri Nov 2007
● Clinical Pathological presentation of Liposarcoma
● Indication for ablative Surgery in musculoskeletal tumours
● The two papers were presented at the 31st annual scientific conference of Nig ortho Assoc.at Enugu Nov 2008
● Clinicopathological Presentation of Rhabdomyosarcoma.
● Presented at the 32nd Annual Scientific Conference of the Nigerian Orthopaedic Association – Lagos Nov 2009